Over the next few weeks we will watch a film called ‘The Mission’. This film raises many questions concerning the Christian faith. You will need to make judgements about events and people. You will need to show the ability to link events of the distance past with relatively recent events and draw comparisons. You need to know the meaning of the following words in order to fully appreciate the questions it raises:
Love Redemption Cathartic Hate Jealousy
Forgiveness Sacrifice Betrayal Violence Jon Sobrino
Freedom Oscar Romero Remorse Oppression
Ignacio Ellacuría Ignatius Loyola Slavery
God acting through people Penance Liberation
Cardinal Golgotha Pope Allegory
Jesuit Symbolism Mercenary Excommunication
Roman Catholic Martyrdom Liberation Theology
The overall objective of these series of lessons is to:
· Question the attitude of ‘The Church’ towards the use of violence.
· To question whether the use of violence is ever right.
· To consider how the film uses ‘allegory’ and ‘religious symbolism’.
· To show the ability to make judgments based on moral and religious grounds.
· To explore the emotions expressed throughout the film.
- Teacher: Mr. J Simmonds